PADI AWARE Advanced Open Water Diver Course
You know how to dive, now discover the why – and how to protect and sustain our reefs and oceans.
Your PADI Open Water course taught you how to dive.
This special PADI AWARE Advanced Open Water Course teaches you the why – and the reasons, ways, means and dive skills to protect and sustain our reefs and oceans.
Safely. And you’ll earn your Dive Against Debris Specialty certification too.
The PADI Advanced Open Water course is a lot less studying and a whole different kind of fun to your PADI Open Water course. Only available at The Dive Bus, this special version of the PADI AWARE Advanced Open Water course course will:
- advance your diving skills and confidence
- give you a greater understanding of our oceans, our impact and ways to do something about it
- through the above, you’ll:
- gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to reduce YOUR impact on the ocean
- be confident and competent to turn every dive you make into a Dive Against Debris
- get more out of every dive you make
Each of the 5 Advanced Open Water Diver training (“Adventure”) dives on the AWARE Advanced Open Water course expands your scuba skills and builds your confidence in a bunch of different ways – with plenty of fun thrown in, too.
At a glance:
- Try out new, cool, fun stuff underwater, become certified to dive to 100ft / 30m and learn additional diving skills and confidence.
- Learn how to become an AWARE Diver and protect our oceans.
- Pre-requisites: Open Water certified, minimum 12 years old
- Duration: 5 dives over 2 diving days.
- Save time + money: tag on your PADI Enriched Air Nitrox Specialty course.
Can I do this?
PADI (Junior) Open Water Divers min 12 years old, are welcome to step up and enroll in an Advanced Open Water Diver course. Divers younger than 15 may only participate in certain Adventures Dives and depth restrictions apply – check when you contact us to book your course. The PADI Advanced Open Water course gives you:
- some great reasons to keep on diving and a lot of great ways to keep your diving FUN!
- additional dive skills and experiences
- additional supervised dives
- credit towards your PADI Specialty dive courses at The Dive Bus
What will I learn?
We’ll provide you with the eLearning so you can self-study for each of your 5 Adventure dives.
Your Dive Bus PADI instructor will review the above with you to make sure you’re comfortable with it, and brief you on the dive itself and the skills you’ll learn and practice.
Of the 5 Adventure training dives, 3 are required for the AWARE version of the course; the remaining 2 focus on skills and knowledge to respect, protect and sustain our oceans – even when you’re not diving:
- Deep Dive: It won’t take long before curiosity will get the better of you and you’ll be intrigued to find out what lies deeper down the reef into the blue… You’ll learn how to plan dives to deal with the physiological effects and challenges of deeper scuba diving, safely.
- Underwater Navigation Dive: Are you confident finding your way around a dive site without an Instructor or Dive Master leading the way? Let us show you some tricks…
The 3 remaining dives for the PADI AWARE Advanced Open Water Course are:
- Peak Performance Buoyancy: Until you get your buoyancy right, you’ll be wasting air, making shorter dives, potentially damaging the reef and upsetting other divers and generally not having as much fun as you could be. Let us help you out with some skills and weight adjustment. You’ll be amazed at the difference…
- Underwater Naturalist: Learn about what you’re seeing underwater. We guarantee it will enhance each dive you make once you know what you’re looking at. Remember: anyone can spot the big stuff; smart divers know how to spot the smaller stuff.
- Dive Against Debris (DAD): Taking care of the ocean isn’t only about removing trash from the reef . It’s about understanding the harm it causes – and stopping it getting there in the first place.
The Dive Against Debris dive is a PADI Specialty course in itself – let your Dive Bus instructor know if you’d like your first Specialty certification card as well as your PADI Advanced Open Water card.
What will I be qualified to do?
Dive to a maximum of 100ft / 30 m and explore deeper, more advanced dive sites. The world is your lobster… Being Advanced Open Water certified will open up a whole new set of exciting ways to continue your diving adventures.
What scuba gear will I use?
Beyond using basic scuba equipment, you’ll need a compass and dive knife or dive tool. You’ll also use specialized gear depending on the Adventure Dives you make – for example a flashlight on the Night Dive or lift bag for Search and Recovery. Your PADI Instructor will explain the equipment that you need and may suggest additional gear, such as dive light for night diving or lift bag for search and recovery diving. All the additional or specialised equipment you’ll need for your Adventure dives are included in the course price – and a Dive Bus Graduate, you’ll get discounts when you buy your own from The Dive Bus retail shop, as well as advice and guidance from your Dive Bus Instructor.
I'm in: What are my next steps?
- Download the PADI Medical Statement (pdf) see if you need doctor’s clearance before you dive.
- Go ahead and book your PADI Advanced Open Water or PADI Adventure Diver course at The Dive Bus :o)